My Wonderful Followers!! Make sure you check their blogs out!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Are Manner's a Thing of the Past?


It's kinda funny when you start to look at the trends of the times....1950's women stayed home and took care of the home and kids...then things changed..women rights moved in and we all went to work and let someone else raise our kids....now look at us....a lot of us choose to stay home once again and take care of our homes and raise and school our children....funny how things kinda move in a circle....
The reason I am doing this blog is for the question..."When did we stop teaching our children to respect adults and to be unmannered?" We have started teaching them to call adults by their first names instead of Mr. and Mrs. (last name) ..I am not sure how I even started letting them call adults by their first names..I really think it started in daycare with my two oldest (this is Miss. Kathy)...Even today at 34 I still out of respect for my elders use Sir and Mamn and Mr. and Mrs. do you? Also, I see more and more kids...even my own that have not a clue how to act in a social setting when it comes to manners....
So are we failing our children in the respect department? Are they going to understand when they get older how to be well mannered? Or are manner's just a thing of the past? I for one am going to start making my children use adults last names, sir and mamn and to teach them the value of respect your elders...and we are also going to work on table manner's, social manners..etc...What do you think? I would love to hear how you are teaching your children manners!
Later Tators!

6 comments:

Tabitha said...

I know our society is in trouble when folks see my kids and say they r so polite. Its like older folks r shocked when a young man opens a door for you and actually acknowledges you.What the hell r parents doing.I want my boys to open his wifes car door,teach his kids to respect the elderly,say no thankyou and actually care about others. A man is a man when he works hard and sacrafices for his family and loves and respects those around him. Hopefully moms r teaching there daughters to apprecite these qualities and see moms as the most important job everand to respect there husbands when they love and care for them.I think women have always been more emppowered by knowing they can actually trust a man to put them first and rest in the fact that they will. For those men that dont know how to be a man and love there wives and children well they probably were sent to day care,public schools,dad was doing what he wanted and mom thought she was empowered because she could just think more of her needs than those of her kids or the future generations. Lets get back to family and doing whats right..Good job Tiff.meow meow

Tiffiney said...

Thanks Tabby for your comment...I am trying to teach my boys the same things..I love when a man opens a door for me...and my daughter is getting first hand knowledge from dealing with her baby brother's of what it takes to be a mom and how hard and rewarding it can be...Keep your comments coming girly..I love reading them!

Julianne said...

Hey Tiffiney! I'm a member of MUIB & just wanted to drop by to read your blog. Thinking of starting one myself. Love this one. I completely agree with you on everything. I too still address my elders with Mr. or Ms., please & thank you. I have 2 boys & I'm trying really hard to instill manners in them. So far, it's been working, most of the time; they actually say "excuse me," "please," "thank you," etc. I will really be proud of myself to raise 2 men who do open doors for women or others, be generous & genuine. It's a lot of work but worth every effort! Keep bloggin'!
Julianne Lorello

Tiffiney said...

Thank you for reading my post Julianne..Hope to read yours someday soon..blogging is a way to just get it all out. I really like it...and good job to both you and tab for raising men that respect women and treat them right...this world can use more of them!! :)

Susan Lite said...

Thanks for the thought provoking blog, Tabitha. I agree with you. There is definitely something wrong with children's manners these days. My son's friends will generally call me Susan right off the bat. I never told them they could. It may be from the day care setting. I am a Sunday school teacher and my children call me Mrs. Sue. The reason may be to avoid having to pronounce difficult last names, but when I was in school, we just had to learn the names!
I definitely thank the women's movement for putting a tremendous amount of pressure on modern women. Thanks to them I have to generate a competitive income and be wonder mom to be respected. I am sure that movement only helped an elite few that are educated, wealthy and have a desire enough to be in the corporate world. Everyone else has to be wonder woman to get respect.
I personally do not want my daughter in the day care system. My son was when he was little and it did no good for him. He has little respect for authority and no concept of working for his self esteem. In the 90's, popular thought on children included the idea that everyone is equal no matter who you are. that only encouraged him along with many other children to do absolutely nothing! He really has a sense of entitlement. Many other moms in my area of teenagers also complain about the same thing. If you can keep your children out of corporate run day cares do so!

Tiffiney said...

Susan, I agree with you I do not want my kids in daycare. My two oldest had to go, do to me being a single mom and having to work. But my younger two will not go thankfully! Thank you for your comment!