My Wonderful Followers!! Make sure you check their blogs out!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Do you like to shop?

I have a problem I would like to share with you all, I am a shopaholic...yes I know I know..why..oh why do I have this problem and what oh what can I do about it? I must start at the beginning and tell the whole story. It all started when I was a teenager, I grew up with loving parents who had a very nice income between them...so there you have the start...I.. yes..me...I was spoiled!! I got everything I needed and everything I wanted, and I LOVED IT!!!!!!! Then the sad part happened, I graduated and had to move out on my own. My world was wonderful until I realized that I had to pay the bills and buy my own clothes, food, and gas with the crappy salary I was making? I mean really, after shopping, there was not to much left for bills. What was I to do? Yes ladies we all know the answer to this. I got a credit card! Oh how I loved my card...Yes I need this and this and that...oh I was so happy! How are you going to pay for this? CHARGE!!!!!!! I mean my best friend was the same way, except she was married..so she would hide her purchases in the trunk of her car, and when her hubby was not home she would sneak them in..he never knew...lol....I saw this over and over with friends so I assumed shopping was ok...So to say the least I had a wonderful time spending, that is till I reached my credit card limit. Which I have to say was huge. Then it was time to pay it off....so what did I do? You guessed it got another card and so on and so on. So there I was left with this huge debt to pay off...and girls that was not fun!! Where was all the things that I had spent all of this money on? Who knows! I did finally get all the cards paid off..which took forever! But I learned many things about shopping and debt. Thankfully I learned at a young age so today I really do not have to much debt. I have one credit card that I keep and it has a 500.00 limit for a reason...I'm a shopaholic and the low limit is easy to pay off! Cause see I still love to shop..even tho most of my shopping is not for me anymore, seems like I am always shopping for my kids..either it's school clothes or supplies, shoes, diapers, food, etc....But, when I do get to shop for myself I hit the Goodwill's, thrift stores, flea markets and shop away, with a huge smile on my face...Love to come out with a cart of stuff for less then 50.00....so much better then a cart of things for way over 100.00...I know there are women still out their that love their cards but as for this girl......Lesson Learned I pay in cash!!! :) So now it is your turn. How many cards do you? Or have you become a better shopper with age? Share your stories! :)

On the family side, It is Labor day weekend..and I am a little bored! I have emailed a million people for sponsorships for Kiersten's pageant but I really am not hearing any response. So she may not be able to do the pageant, cost is really high! Terry's car failed inspection needs tires....man I hate to think of the cost for that! The new diapers I have tried with Sebastian are terrible! Preston has not cleaned his room even tho I have asked a million times... And my child Tristan is standing here next to me telling me he wants to take a bath...Ahhhhhh the life of a southern, hippie, married, mom of four :) I guess I will get up and give Tristan a bath...cause in a few years he prolly will be fighting me not wanting to take baths...boys!! On the bright side of things...We need some things around here so I get to go shopping today!! :)
Later Tators!!

10 comments:

Melyssa R
Boulder County, CO
said...

I have an opposite story. I was raised literally dirt poor, poverty level, as in not enough food to eat sometimes for days...so when I got out in the world and was lucky to get a great paying job at a very young age...I went CRAZY!!! I got tons of credit cards starting even at 18. By the time I was 25, I was $30,000 in debt plus car payments, insurance, rent, etc in expensive southern Cali. Boo. My car got repo'd too...very depressing time in my life. I had to file bankruptcy because I got laid off my great job...hard lesson to learn that is for sure. I still have money management issues tho so hubby does it ALL and I get an "allowance" in my own checking account and then I use the card for gas and necessities, that is it and we pay off our ONE card each month. Thank god I married a man with impeccable credit and good dollar sense. I have NONE.

Kathy said...

Hello, I found you through Blog around the World. Welcome to the blogging world. My husband & I had both been married before, he had 2 children, I had one, we married and we had one. So we had (all grown now) yours, mine and ours. His favorite joke use to be "Honey, come here, my children and your child is beating our child". I hope you make new friends in your small town soon. I stopped in to say hello and now I'm rambling. Sorry about that. I like your blog!

harassedmomsramblings said...

Generally I dont like shopping. Unless I have money - lol - so I generally dont like it. And I HATE shopping malls!!

My dad raised us with the "if you dont have cash you cant have it" rule!

And I am glad he did. I do have debt now - one credit card and one personal loan and thats it. I a busy trying to pay the credit card off at the moment. It stresses me out no end but I needed both after I left Mr Ex.

Jennifer said...

We have several cards, but we don't use most of them. I keep them around out of some weird sense of loyalty, since I've had them for years. But I guess that's good the credit rating too! Also have too many store cards, but again, those get used for the discounts, and then paid off right away. We are in a very fortunate situation, thankfully, but still should be saving more then we do!

Laura said...

I have to say I was raised the same way and it was a learning experience with money. I am still not very good with money...honestly it is a fear of mine...I dread looking at my bank account balance lol. But at
"40 something" I have no credit cards at all and do not won't one...If I do not have cash in hand then I don't buy.

Nina said...

I grew up watching my mom and dad fight over credit cards. My dad was the one who always paid in cash and my mom was the one sneaking stuff into the house so my dad wouldn't see she was shopping. For a few years she had her bill sent to my house to keep it from my dad. Because of all this crazyness I decided I didn't want anything to do with this. I have one credit card and I use it occasionally but pay off the balance each month, plus this is easy because I am not a shopper. Now my husband is the shopper in our family. He uses credit cards like crazy, doesn't think twice about it and drives me crazy. I am always telling him he should be thankful that I am not a shopper like most women are or we would be in serious trouble. LOL

YogaforCynics said...

Hi and welcome to the blogging world...though I've been here only slightly longer than you. I've recently moved from a rural environment to a big city...but a very mellow part of a big city, near the world's largest urban park, so it's kind of the best of both worlds. I'm not much of a shopper except for books and music...and junk food....

journey2learn said...

I bounce between being very disciplined, paying of the debt I have made...and then spending crazy, especially around Christmas and birthdays. Know I need to have more moderation and gifts don't equal love, but love shopping. I (now) only have one credit card, low balance but still struggling to dig out of 'other' debt created pre this plan. So easy to make the debt, so hard to get out of it.

American in Norway said...

I used to love to shop sales when we lived in the states... I could piss away a lot of money on "really good deals". Since moving to Norway where everything is soooo expensive i almost never shop...& if I have to I only get what we need.

Tiffiney said...

Thank you all for your comments! I am glad I am not alone when it comes to having bad shopping habits from my past! Those they never had one..you go gals! For those you that did...what a lesson we learned...hope any of you that are still paying off your debts..get debt free soon!!! I know how paying that off can be! And to yoga...I love books myself, I could prolly open a library..when I go into a thrift store I am usually walking out with at least one book! :)